Sunday, February 4, 2018

February 4, 2018
"My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song" Psalm 28:7

The day I read this psalm, I had a client yelling at me that I am rude and that I have a horrible personality. The same day got "better", when I found myself gossiping with coworkers, even though, I decided just few days prior, to pay attention to the words I used. Therefore, when I read Psalm 28 that night, I was able to completely relate. I so understood the feelings of heaviness, frustration and discouragement.

However, verse 7 took me by surprise. "My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song". I understand to turn to the Lord, pray, ask for forgiveness, trust that the situation will turn around for the best, but joy didn't seem to fit in.  When in surviving mode is almost impossible to think joy. Nevertheless, joy is the fruit of the Holy Spirit, and if I am the temple of the Spirit, then joy is a part of me.  God wants us to rejoice, to enjoy, to be glad.  "This is the day that the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24. "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34
Joy comes from God.  I may not be able to force it, or to pretend that I have it, but I can certainly open myself to it, by praying about it. This psalm taught me that, during tough times, I should hope for joy, pray for joy, expect leaps of joy and celebrate through songs of thanksgiving and gratitude. It's very easy to get lost in negativity, and surviving prayers but at the same time, I can always choose to pray for joy and even do something that brings joy.
 
Lord, help us to remember joy, this coming week. Help us to remember that You came that we may have life, and have it abundantly. Help us to open our hearts to You. Thank you, Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment