Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Feb 27

This summer, Rico and I took the trip of a lifetime. We spent ten days in Israel, walking in the footsteps of Jesus - a tour led by Dr. Bryan Widbin, an ATS Professor. One of our most memorable stops was the morning we visited Caesarea Philippi. Dr. Widbin explained that this was a location marked historically by the worship of other gods. It would have been poignant for Jesus to ask Peter "Who do you say I am?" in this particular place. (Mind blown!)

After, we drove to the Mount of Transfiguration, the next recorded account in this gospel narrative. It was as if Jesus thought, "Peter, you said you know who I am. Now I am going to remove all doubt."

"...Then, a cloud appeared and covered them, and a voice came from the cloud: "this is my Son, whom I love. Listen to him!" (Mk 9:7) We can not even imagine the glory and beauty that Peter saw on that mountain but I would imagine he walked down more confident than ever that Jesus really was who he said he was.

-

Jesus, like Peter, we know and believe that you are the only Son of God. Would you give us the gift of a fresh encounter with you today that would build our faith and enable us to see you for who you truly are?

No comments:

Post a Comment