Sunday, February 11, 2018

February 11, 2018

"When Moses approached the camp and saw the calf and the dancing his anger burned" Exodus 32:19

Every time I read Exodus 32, I can't help but wonder, how in the world they got that stupid idea to build a calf and to worship it. How could they ignore all the signs and the miracles God has done for them? It's easy to become despiteful and judgmental when reading this chapter. It's almost natural to say- I would never do that!

"When you point one finger, there are three fingers pointing back to you". Same as the Israelites, before knowing the Lord, I was in slavery. Same as the Israelites, after being saved, I was called to the Promised Land. I hear Jesus saying: "I have come that they may have life and have it to the full" (John 10:10)." Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father". (John 14:12) "I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you". (Luke 10:19)

To me these are all invitations to take the journey beyond salvation, to go deeper towards the Promised Land. We are called to do great things, with great power.  What is wrong with the calf and the dancing around it? When we build a calf and decide to dance around it, we are not following God and we are not moving towards the promised land. It's like rocking in a chair, it keeps you busy, but it doesn't get you anywhere. I've never worshiped a calf! Really? How many times did I dance for days, weeks, months around my fear, around my need to control, around trying to please other people, around other's opinions on me. How much time did I waste that way? How much emotional, and mental energy did I spend doing that?

Long story short, I am a lot like those Israelites. The amazing thing is, that I can learn from their up's and down's, from their impatience. I heard someone say, we are a microwave generation serving a crock-pot God. We are to trust in God, and his timing. The calf will do nothing but hurt us.

Lord help us not to miss our Promised Land and help us to only dance with You and around You. Help us to gravitate around You only. Help us to trust You with your lives and our journeys!

No comments:

Post a Comment