Sunday, May 31, 2015

Saturday, May 30, 2015

Saturday, May 30, 2015


Has anyone in a position of authority ever threatened you undeservedly? Have you ever felt like you were melting with fear at what they would do? Maybe it was a boss that said you could possibly lose your job. Maybe it was a government official that was trying to change things in your eyes for the worse. Maybe it was someone that you looked up to that made you feel like something bad could happen to you. In any case, I believe that all of us have felt fear or anxiety at one time or another over what future events could possibly bring due to a person in power over us.


Although Jesus never felt fear, He was put in situations that would’ve bred fear in any of us. For instance, in one case Pilate tried to intimidate Jesus with his position of authority. He said to him, “Do you refuse to speak to me? Don’t you realize I have the power either to free you or to crucify you?” (John 19:10). Essentially Pilate told Jesus in so many words, I have the power to let you go on living or to put you to death in one of the most gruesome, inhumane ways possible, by nailing your hands and feet to a cross so that you die slowly and painfully.


Most people during that time as well as today would’ve melted with fear. The majority of people would’ve replied to Pilate’s question by asking, “What do I need to do in order to be set free?” Jesus, on the other hand, replied to Pilate’s question with a statement that I believe caused some fear to invade Pilate’s heart. Jesus stated, “You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above. Therefore the one who handed me over to you is guilty of a greater sin.”


Even in the midst of facing death on a cross, Jesus was not intimidated, fearful, or anxious. He knew that God had allowed this great injustice to occur so that God’s will would ultimately be done on earth. Jesus did not deserve to be flogged, to be beaten with a whip or stick. He did not deserve to be spit on, mocked, and ultimately murdered.  Yet, Jesus’ heart said, “Yet not My will, but Yours be done.” Our God is good, perfect, and holy.  Her, in this sinful world, He permits evil to happen. The evil is allowed in order for a greater good to take place. The greatest good that could have ever taken place was Jesus willfully dying on the cross so that the world could be saved!


There have been men and women that have followed Jesus’ actions, and even His words, in the face of death. The night before Dr. King was assassinated he spoke the following words to at a rally in Memphis: “Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land! And so I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. My eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord!”


Lord, I pray that we can have the courage of Jesus even when we are put in situations where we are unjustly accused or threatened. Give us boldness and the mindset that Jesus possessed. Help us to realize that You are ultimately in control and that all that you allow in this sinful world will be used for a greater good. Help us to remember that You are God and that there is no authority greater than You. Help us to have the mentality, “Yet not my will, but Yours be done.” We love You God. We fear not for the Lord our God is with us. May Your will be done.  In Jesus’ name.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment