Saturday, May 2, 2015

Saturday, May 3

Saturday, May 2, 2015

[Keesha Sullivan]


In the reading, Samson finds a fresh jawbone of a donkey and kills one thousand Philistines after they burn his former stepfather and wife to death. After the victory, "because he was very thirsty, he cried out to the Lord, 'You have given your servant this great victory. Must I now die of thirst and fall into the hands of the uncircumcised?" (Judges 15:18). This passage stood out to me as I thought about Samson giving immediate glory to God for his victory and then asking God for water. His knowledge and awareness of God's power was more than evident in these verses. 


Samson knew that "every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows" (James 1:17). I wonder how many times I have a victory and I don't give immediate glory to God and then ask for help with the next thing. Over the last several weeks, I've been learning a lot about the "god of me". The "god of me"steals God's glory and takes praises for the victory. The "god of me" tries to figure things out and refuses to humbly ask God for help. I've realized that I need to destroy, annihilate, and starve the "god of me." 


This past week our students have had to complete state testing on lap tops with Wi-Fi. When we tried to complete the practice test to ensure the state test would go flawlessly, we realized that we had some serious issues. Over ¾ of the students could not access the Wi-Fi. We were not able to complete the practice test due to the Wi-Fi problems. 


Teachers and students were fearful of what problems the real test would present. We knew that we had had some serious issues to overcome. Monday morning, I prayed to God. I asked Him for His help. I didn't want this testing week to turn into a debacle. I felt God's presence hovering over me as I prayed. I felt the atmosphere change. I knew He had heard and answered my prayer. 


Monday as well as the rest of this week the testing went flawlessly. Not one student was prevented from getting on the Wi-Fi. Teachers commented all week on how surprised they were at how easy this process went. I told them it was God. I gave Him the glory and got some weird looks from my colleagues at the same time.


In order to tear down the "god of me", I realized that I need to pray for everything. I need to pray for getting safely to work. I need to pray for God's protection throughout the day. I need to pray for my interactions with my beautiful students that I would show them the same unconditional love that my Heavenly Father shows me. If I pray and ask, it is much more likely that I will know Whothe victory came from when it comes. I will know Who to give the glory to. I will know Who to ask for help from the next time. 


Lord, help us to get rid of the "god of me" and to recognize there is only one true God. Help us to give Youglory for the victories that you give us each and every day, whether they are great or small. Help us to ask you for help instead of seeking to figure things out. Lord thank You for Samson's example in this reading passage. Help us to be more like him. We love you Lord. We thank You for being a God that gives us good and perfect gifts. In Jesus' name, we pray amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment