Friday, April 10, 2020

Good Friday

April 10, 2020   

Matt 27:46-50   About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?"--which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

Why this cry of dereliction?  What was happening on the cross?  The sins of the world were being placed on Jesus. And because of our sins, the greatest pain in human history was occurring. For the first time in all eternity, there was a disconnection in the Trinity. God had to darken the skies that day because he couldn't look at his Son and our sin. And in some mysterious way, there was a crisis in the Trinity.

So why did God do it?  It was the only way to rescue us from our sins. Our good deeds can't get rid of sin. Only someone paying the penalty could. Jesus paid that debt.

And whose sin was on Jesus? This is where the cross becomes personal; it was my sin, my pride, my rebellion, my selfishness that nailed him to that cross.

Elizabeth Browning put Good Friday into proper perspective when she wrote;

         Yea, once Immanuel's orphaned cry his universe hath shaken.

         It went up single, echoless, "My God, I am forsaken!"

         It went up from the Holy's lips amid his lost creation.

         That, of the lost, no son should use those words of desolation.

Because Jesus cried out those words, we don't have to. We never have to say, "I am forsaken," because Jesus died on the cross. Get on your knees today and thank God for his great love and immeasurable sacrifice for us.

My Dear Sweet Lord Jesus,

No day has passed in my life that has not proved me guilty in your eyes.

I am well aware of my hard heart, my pride, my ungrateful attitude. On this Good Friday I am well aware of my need for a Savior, my need for your rescue. My confidence this day is that Jesus died in my place. Even though my sins are great, your grace is a million times greater. Thank you!!  Thank you!!  Thank you!!

So this is my confidence today:

By your stripes I have been healed.

You were bruised for my iniquities.

You were made sin so that I would be made righteous.

Though my sins are numerous, they are all forgiven and buried in the deepest ocean.

I am guilty, but pardoned; lost, but saved; wandering, but found;

sinning, but cleansed.

Keep all of us clinging to your cross.

Open the flood gates of your mercy today and renew my heart.

Send your Holy Spirit to take me to a new plateau of faith.

Thank you again Lord Jesus for crying,

    "My God, I am forsaken," so that I don't have to.

 


--
"Multiplying leaders to change the world"

No comments:

Post a Comment