Saturday, April 11, 2020

April 11: Of The Cost of Commitment


Joshua 3:1-4:24

Luke 14:7-35

Psalm 80:1-19

Proverbs 12:27-28


I was blessed with wonderful grandparents, one of whom injected a dose of reality into the euphoria that followed the Philippine revolution that in 1986 removed the dictator, Marcos, from office after 21 years. When I asked him, the former Chief Justice of our Supreme Court, why he seemed so sad that Marcos had been removed, he said something that stuck with me ever since: "if the people think they can remove a president they don't like anytime this way, what's to stop them from doing it anytime someone doesn't like the president?"


Since then, the integrity of the process, and respect for its outcome (regardless of whether I voted for it or not)  have been very important to me.  Which is why, despite how opposed I was to Obama's policies, I respected him as president.  And which is why, however odious I think Trump might be personally, I respect him as president today.  Respect for the process is so important to me that I stick to it, despite the derision I got for my respect for Mr. Obama, and the sometimes outright hostility I've received for my support of Mr. Trump.  But it's important to me, so I am prepared to pay the price.


Today's scripture reading reminds us that our faith convictions don't come free, and we have to be prepared to pay the price, which can be steep. We can face derision from people who wonder why we are such "rubes" who live according to what they think are outmoded morality fairy tales.  Or face rejection from colleagues and superiors who insist the job demands we behave sinfully, and "it's ok - everyone does it".  In China, you risk imprisonment. In parts of the Middle East, death.  


The question we each have to ask ourselves is, is it worth it? Today, the day that bridges the gap between the cross and the empty tomb, is a particularly apt day to ask and answer that question.  We benefit from the reminder we commit to Someone Who gave all for us…and Who offers us eternity.  


I'll leave you with something I found googling the phrase "why Christians are stupid".  It's an amazing testimony of a young woman who decided that what she gained was worth the high price she paid.  I love her conclusion: "The reason that most people aren't Christians is either because they think that Jesus isn't really real or that he isn't really worth it. But Jesus is both—really real and really worth it. Yes, I gave up some major things and some significant sexual relationships—but God has heaped upon me beautiful and good things in their place."  If you've read this far, I hope you'll click on the link to read her story too.


https://www.thegoodbook.co.uk/blog/interestingthoughts/2019/02/04/i-thought-christians-were-stupid-bigots/


No comments:

Post a Comment