Saturday, April 18, 2020

April 18: Of Jewish Gossip Tabloids, 33AD


Joshua 16:1-18:28

Luke 19:1-27

Psalm 87:1-7

Proverbs 13:11


"He has gone to be the guest of a sinner."

  - People Magazine, Israel Edition, 33AD


The scandal in the observation, in the condescending muttering among the glitterati of the day, is almost palpable in reading the words, even over two thousand years later.  It was something that JUST WASN'T DONE, especially by Someone Who was supposed to be a Teacher.  There almost seemed to be a certainty among THOSE WHO KNEW THESE THINGS that this was going to destroy His reputation as a rabbi…


And yet, reflecting on my life, on the multitude of sins, many long forgotten, of varying degrees of seriousness, every single one of them making me worthy only of condemnation, I am overwhelmed by these very words.  "He has gone to be the guest of a sinner."  There is hope for me.  He might come to my home as well, despite my sins, despite how unacceptable it would be for Perfection to visit with the imperfect, for Flawless to sup with the flawed.  What to do, how to get there?  Thank you, Zacchaeus, for the roadmap.


First, let me want Him so much that, though my stature make it impossible to see him easily, I go to great lengths (or great heights, as Zaccheaus did), to do so.  Then, when He sees me and asks to come, may I set aside whatever other plans I might have, for my day, for my home, for my possessions, and put them at His disposal.  


Then, perhaps, I will be so overwhelmed by relationship with Him that what I have is no longer as important as it was to me, no longer as important as He is to me.  Then, perhaps, I too will hear that salvation as come to my house as well.  I am lost, Jesus, come seek me and save me.


No comments:

Post a Comment