Sunday, March 25, 2018

March 25, 2018

"Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord' and do not do what I say" Luke 6:46

 

A while back I was talking to my mom in Romania and I was telling her how scared and nervous I was about an upcoming event. She listened to me day after day, trying to encourage me. After a while, probably tired of my pessimism, she asked me what the point was, of doing a Bible study every week, if I had such a hard time believing. "Don't they teach you about having faith and not dwelling in fear?" She is not a newborn Christian and her question really took me by surprise. It cured my pessimism and complaining.  

I hear the Lord asking the same kind of question here. What is the point in getting theologically smart if we can't put his words into practice? Easier said than done. It's easy when things go well, according to the plan. It's hard when unexpected happens, when expectations are not met, when people misbehave or mistreat us.

These are few things that help me focus on Jesus, practice faith, when all I want is to throw a pity party:

-          Remember that faith is not about seeing and touching but about hoping with confidence. It's about holding on to hope before a situation unfolds, before we can see that something is working. Faith precedes the miracle. "Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see." Hebrews 11:1.

-          Remember that my inability to control, doesn't mean that God is unable as well. God is in perfect control of everything and everyone. It means that I can relax in chaos, in the unexpected, in the unknown. He is in perfect control of me and everything else, to the point that: "Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. "Luke 12:7

-          There is no place in this world, that is out of God's influence. He is omnipresent. He is present in the darkest and in the brightest. There are no closed doors for him. "Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there" Psalm 139:7,8. Wherever I am, and whatever I am dealing with, I am completely covered, and He is completely in charge of me.

-          Bad things happen to good people. My human nature wants a care free, pain free, blissful experience on this earth. After all, we are the sons and daughter of the King. It's easy to fall into blaming and despair with that belief. We are warned: "do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you." 1 Peter 4:12 "In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33. Nowhere he promises us a worry-free life, but he does promises us victory and assistance. "And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. "1 Cor 10:13

Lord please help us to believe in you, in word and in action, help us to build our lives on solid rock and not on slippery grounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment