Wednesday, March 14, 2018

March 14th

Luke 1

What is God calling you to do?

Over the past two readings we have met two women who God chose to play a pretty significant role the Story of Reality.  Elizabeth was chosen to give birth to John the Baptist, and Mary was chosen to be The Messiah's mother.  As a Mom, I know my boys have some role that someday, somehow will fit into the scheme of God's Kingdom plan, but my peanut brain certainly can't comprehend putting myself in either one of these women's shoes. Let's stop and think about Mary for a moment and consider the culture she grew up in and what God called her to do.  She was a poor female who probably was in her early teenage years.  Socially, and culturally, she had all the characteristics that would outwardly appear to make her unusable by God for any major task. Again, culturally she was probably being taught how to take care of the home the way her mom did and carry on traditions.  However, God chose her to give birth to Jesus, The Messiah.  Her assignment didn't come without a risk and didn't lead her to instant success and fame.  Quite the contrary.  Joseph almost ditched her, and I'm sure her family and friends must have ridiculed her, perhaps even thought about ostracizing her from their closely knit family, oh and let's not forget to mention that the Son she bore was rejected and murdered. Taking all this into account, and considering her confusion (v.34),  what was Mary's response?  "I am the Lord's servant, May it be to me as you have said" (v.38).  I can only speak for myself, but I want that to be my heart. The message certainly isn't just for women.  It's for all of us reading this blog.  As disciples and servants we are vessels of God's glory and whatever He calls us to do I pray our response is the same as Mary's.  This Story is not about us or what we think we are qualified to do, for as Gabriel told Mary "Nothing is impossible with God" (v.36). I pray we all take some time with God and see where He is leading and calling us and accept our part in the Story with a heart like Mary's.  Nowhere in the Scripture did I see where Mary asked for this great assignment, God chose her. I believe in my heart we have all been chosen to be a part of His Story, all for His glory.  Ephesians 1:11 tell us that "In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will".  So, what is God calling you to do?

Randi

No comments:

Post a Comment