Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 - Grace Church Bible Reading Group




Subject: Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Genesis 13:5 - 15:21
Matthew 5:27-48
Psalm 6:1-10
Proverbs 1:29-33

Good morning everyone.  Praying for blessings and God's mercy and grace to all of you.  Today is my first experience as a blogger.  Have mercy!  Even though some of what I have written below may or may not make sense to you - keep in mind that I was one of those people who always used the excuse that I can't really help anybody because I don't know the Bible.  Well - it is 2015 and that excuse does not cut it anymore.  I am jumping in!

I start off with Genesis and I must admit - history and math were not my best subjects.  Yet I did learn that Abram with a good and righteous man.  Rather than quarrel with his nephew Lot - they went in two different directions to avoid quarreling among their herdsmen and to keep the peace.  Even though Lot chose the whole plain of the Jordan which seemed like a better piece of land for his people, it was Abram who came to his rescue after defeating Kedolaomer.  Abram took nothing as payment for this defeat as he had made an oath to the Lord.  But even Abram, righteous as he was, doubted that he would gain all of the possessions that the Lord had promised for he was childless.  How can one have so many offspring that are as numerous as stars in the sky or as numerous as each fleck of dust on the earth?  To count these would be impossible.  Yet this was the Lord's covenant with Abram - imagine the Lord telling you not to be afraid for I am your shield, your very great reward.  That in itself would have been the greatest gift the Lord could give anyone.

In Matthew we realize that we are all sinners.  No one is better than the other because the Lord has made the sun to shine on the good and the evil.  We all know only too well that it is easy to greet our friends and coworkers.  But what about the one that gives you a hard time and seems to make your life miserable.  That is the one that the Lord urges us to pray for.  For any wrong done against us, God encourages us to forgive and He forgave us.  Give what we have to others less fortunate.  I know that many of us think that we have unfortunate circumstances in our lives - but if you stop and take a look around - you will be amazed by the many blessings you have been given.  I heard recently that the best way to live a peaceful and joyous life is to write down something you are grateful for each day.  If you stop for one minute - I am sure your list would exceed your expectations.  For after all - it is God giving the blessings.  Don't let that pesky devil discourage your faith or weaken your belief in the Almighty who is the Creator of everything.

After reading Psalm 6:1-10 and Proverbs 1:29-33 I could not help but cry.  I have been know to shed tears when hearing any type of news.  For some reason I feel like it is my purpose to fix everything and everyone in my life.  Hence, the tears when I see that some tasks are way beyond my control.  But then, is this not why we have our Savior???  If I am worn out from groaning all night long and I flood my bed with weeping - does He not hear and see this?  Of course He does!!!   We must learn to give up control to the Only One - because it is His will that will be done.

From Proverbs I pass this comforting advice on to you and to hold in my heart - "but whoever listens to me will live in safety and be at ease, without fear of harm".

After writing this, and rereading - I feel there is nothing that I want to change or alter.  I do believe though that Psalms and Proverbs are my favorites.  So many life lessons and instructions to get us to where we need to be and walk in accordance with the will of God.

God Bless you all!

Carol Policastro

No comments:

Post a Comment