Saturday, January 17, 2015

Saturday, January 17, 2015

Saturday, January 17, 2015

"If you had known what these words mean, 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice,' you would not have condemned the innocent. For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath." (Matthew 12:7, 8 NIV)

He said to them, "If any of you has a sheep and it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will you not take hold of it and lift it out? How much more valuable is a person than a sheep! Therefore it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath." Then he said to the man, "Stretch out your hand." So he stretched it out and it was completely restored, just as sound as the other.   But the Pharisees went out and plotted how they might kill Jesus. (Matthew 12:11-14 NIV)

"An unjust law is no law at all." - St. Augustine of Hippo 

Sometimes doing what is legal is not the same as doing what is just.  The bondage of traditionalism, legalism, and a bunch of other -ism's is  like a straightjacket that can restrict us from feeding hungry people or providing care for hurting people.  These -ism's oftentimes keep us from seeing people as human beings, reducing humanity to rules and systems, and demonizing those who would oppose injustice (even if it means demonizing the Messiah).  We may want to offer God what is right, proper, and lawful, but completely miss what just and born of love.

Jesus quotes Hosea 6:6 in his discussion with the Pharisees: "For I desire steadfast love and not sacrifice, the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings. " As I read this Scripture I feel like God is saying, "If you really understood who I AM and remembered how I've mercifully dealt with you, you would know that I am a God who loves mercy (Hebrew, "chesed"; unconditional and enduring love; loyalty). I give my love to people, not to -isms."  

The law shows us that it is right and proper to offer God the sacrifice of a lamb (or today we might offer $500 instead). However, the more just and proper sacrifice would be ourselves - our desires, our own way, our stale tradition, our flawed systems - for this is real unconditional and enduring love and mercy; this is chesed!

Declaration/Prayer (from Matthew 12:7; Hosea 6:6):  
"Father, remembering the great mercy you've given me, I commit myself to pour out mercy on others, for you desire mercy, not sacrifice."

No comments:

Post a Comment