Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Jan 7

Matthew 6:5-15

The Lords Prayer

I have come to realize that prayer is our life line to God.  In Luke 11:1 the disciples asked Jesus "Lord, teach us to pray".  In today's reading Jesus gives a detailed account and provides a pattern of how to communicate with God.  I believe it starts with understanding that God knows our hearts and the motives behind our actions.  God wants us to be honest and sincere,  and "not be like the hypocrites" (V.5).  "When you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father (V.6).  Praying in groups and staying focused on God is important. Getting quiet before the Lord is key to our spiritual growth.  God expects us to pray in private.  "Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." (V.6)  I don't know how or when anyone else spends time in prayer.  I only know what time works for me.  I also know that when I'm running late and miss my prayer time I am "off" for the day - you know it's obvious when your kids send you to your room and tell you to have a "time out" with God..  Jesus taught his disciples, and us, that our quiet time must be a priority.

Lord, I pray you continue to open our spiritual eyes and ears as we learn to hear your voice when we quiet ourselves in prayer with you.  Thank you Lord for setting the example and teaching us how to pray.




Randi

No comments:

Post a Comment