Sunday, January 25, 2015

Sunday, January 25, 2014

As the story of Joseph comes to an end, we find his brothers begging for mercy after their father's death. They were afraid that Joseph would pay them back for all the harm they had done to him. But Joseph said to them, "Don't be afraid. Am I in the place of God? You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. So then, don't be afraid. I will provide for you and your children." And he reassured them and spoke kindly to them. (Gen 50:19-21)

Twice, Joseph tells his brothers not to be afraid.

And in the New Testament reading, when the three disciples heard God the Father's voice from Heaven saying, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!" They fell facedown to the ground, terrified. And Jesus comforted them, saying, "Don't be afraid."

I don't know how many times the phrase "Don't be afraid." Is used throughout the Bible. I'm sure the research has been done and the use of that phrase counted. I just know that's it is repeated often by fathers to children, brother to brothers and Heavenly Father to his children. I'm thinking that God used those words so many times because he knew that we often cling to our fears and have to be reminded over and over again that we do not need to be afraid. Fear does not come from the Lord.

It would be awesome if the first time I read those words I embraced them and threw ALL my fears away. But nope, not me. I know them to be true. I know that God has won and the victory is ours. But I still reach for those feelings like a comfortable old sweater far too often. For tonight, it's time to put my fears away. Stop worrying about the approaching storm. Ask the Lord to watch over me and know that he will. If God is for me, who can be against me?

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment