Saturday, January 10, 2015

Blog_Saturday January 10, 2015

Saturday, January 10, 2015, [Written by Keesha Sullivan]

When Abraham's chief servant of his household was in need of help, he called upon the God of heaven and earth. He saw the great and mighty works that God had done for Abraham and had faith that God would help him and bless his master through the process. It says in our reading today, "12 Then he prayed, "Lord, God of my master Abraham, make me successful today, and show kindness to my master Abraham. 13 See, I am standing beside this spring, and the daughters of the townspeople are coming out to draw water. 14 May it be that when I say to a young woman, 'Please let down your jar that I may have a drink,' and she says, 'Drink, and I'll water your camels too'—let her be the one you have chosen for your servant Isaac. By this I will know that you have shown kindness to my master."
15 Before he had finished praying, Rebekah came out with her jar on her shoulder." (Genesis 24:12-15).
Abraham's chief servant saw the power of God work for Abraham when he prayed; then through praying himself, he too was able to see God's power. Many times we don't take the time to pray and see God's power work out situations. Other times we pray and then we attribute the miracle to logic or coincidence. 
God led me to pray for my friend that was in extreme pain. She was literally limping due to the pain in her foot. I asked her whether I could pray for her. She said, "Sure." As I prayed, I felt God's presence. I was sure He was doing something. As I finished, I asked her how she felt. She replied, "You know its funny. I feel better. I felt warmth on my foot while you were praying. That was a coincidence. Well anyway, I have to go." My heart sank. In just a few words, my friend had just taken any praise and glory from God and gave it to "coincidence and maybe even happenstance." She walked out of the room without a limp and probably without a clue that God had touched her. We had just witnessed a miracle. 
In Matthew 8:1-3 it says, "When Jesus came down from the mountainside, large crowds followed him. 2 A man with leprosy came and knelt before him and said, "Lord, if you are willing, you can make me clean."
3 Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man. "I am willing," he said. "Be clean!" Immediately he was cleansed of his leprosy." The man with leprosy prayed/asked Jesus for help and he too saw God's power at work. 
The power of prayer is life changing. We are healed, helped, blessed, strengthened, loved, and empowered through prayer. We need the Lord.  We need to put our "Trust in the Lord with all [our] heart[s]
and lean not on [our] own understanding; 6 in all [our] ways submit to him, and he will make [our] paths straight." (Proverbs 3: 5-6).
Lord help us to pray so that we may see Your power. Help us to give You praise when we do pray and You answer our prayers. Help us to lean upon You and to trust in You. You are all powerful and there is nothing that is impossible for You, O'Lord. Help us to go to you at all times with all kinds of prayer. We need You, O'Lord. We love You and we thank You for all the many answers to prayers that You have given us. Please continue to show us Your mighty hand and bring glory to Your name. 

No comments:

Post a Comment