Friday, January 16, 2015

Thursday, January 15

THURSDAY, JANUARY 15, 2015

Genesis 31:17–32:12

Matthew 10:24–11:6

Psalm 13:1–6

Proverbs 3:16–18

 

 

“Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.  Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me.  Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.”  (Matthew 10:37–39)

 

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28–30)

 

 

How may we reconcile the “hardness” and “challenge” of the first set of verses with the “comfort” and “ease” of the second set?  How does His “rest,” “easy” yoke, and “light” burden” fit with the steep “cost” of discipleship mentioned in Matthew 10?

 

Part of this quandary lies in trying to understand the depth of God’s character in our human minds.  Many times, we may consider a theological questions, only to realize that it falls within the “mind-of-God” realm, where straightforward answers are likely beyond our grasp.  For such an example, please consider the simultaneous reality of God’s total sovereignty over the universe and human free will.

 

In Matthew 10, Jesus explains that true discipleship involves commitment of the heart in faith and the body in action.  By our words and actions, we reveal the commitments that we have made in our hearts.  Jesus explains that our public confession of faith should accompany our commitment to Christ:  “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will acknowledge before my Father in heaven.  But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.” (Matthew 10:32,33)

 

In His charge to the disciples, Jesus anticipates the “force” required to advance Kingdom purposes.  While the disciples would interact with other men, their struggles would take on a spiritual dimension as well.  Paul describes this reality in Ephesians 6:12:  “For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark work and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.”  In other words, the Kingdom mission involves spiritual warfare.  As we may see from human armies, commitment to battle is a crucial element for success.  Distracted soldiers lead to disastrous losses.  If we are indeed in such a spiritual battle for the Kingdom, then Jesus rightly calls for our complete commitment.

 

While the battle may involve challenges and requires a soldier’s heart, the Commanding Officer relates to each soldier tenderly, like a loving father or mother.  Please notice that the “rest” that Jesus provides flows from our coming to Him.  As St. Augustine recognized, our hearts find no rest until we rest in God alone.

 

Our strength then emerges from our connection to Christ.  The yoke allows animals to work well together, ensuring that they exert their strength in a common and well-directed manner.  Jesus suggests that He will become yoked with us, increasing our strength and purpose in the Kingdom work.  The yoke implies our submission to His purposes.  By submitting to Christ’s ultimate authority, we find sufficient strength to meet everything to which God calls us. (Philippians 4:13)

 

 

Lord Jesus, we submit to Your purposes for our lives.  Strengthen us for Your purposes, and make us into Kingdom warriors for You.  Give us courage to rise to the challenges set before us, and help us to turn to You.  Affirm Your calling for our lives, and tenderly encourage us for each day.  Reveal more of Yourself so that we will have certainty and confidence in giving our lives completely to Your service, for Your honor and glory.  In Your Name, amen.


________________________________________
1) Blog:                 
http://bit.ly/rV1Cw1

2) Facebook:        http://on.fb.me/tc6jkS

No comments:

Post a Comment