Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Numbers 6-7, Mark 12:38-44 – Mark 13:1-13, Psalm 49, Proverbs 10:27,28

Numbers 6-7, Mark 12:38-44 – Mark 13:1-13, Psalm 49, Proverbs 10:27,28
 
            I will be the first to admit that these books of the law are challenging to read, but I got a strange look the other night when I gladly admitted that I would take Leviticus over Numbers anytime.  This is a challenging book for me to read, but as I read it I am constantly coaching myself that God put it in the Bible for a reason…there has to be wisdom or teaching somewhere in these chapters!!!  Of course there is purpose in today's reading in Numbers.  Laws, standards, and expectations for the Nazirite – one who made a special "vow" to the Lord, one who was holy and set apart.  Literally the Hebrew term means "dedication by separation."  They had strict regulations including staying away from grapes, (wine), can't cut their hair, and no contact with a dead body.  Well….this folks a little foreshadowing and set up for a little story you may have heard once or twice….about a guy called Samson.  Later in Judges we read about this Sunday School story I heard about growing up.  This is where he came from, and this is why he was the way he was.  God made and presented the law with Moses and it was lived for generations and generations after.  I have to remind myself that in these chapters and books, that are a struggle and challenge to go through, there is a bigger picture.  There is a story, a history, a point that God is making to His people and to me.  This is how we get to know God better and how we can fall in love with Him and all He is. 
 
            In our New Testament and Psalm and Proverbs reading we are given lessons on how to live and how to live for God.  We are to give of ourselves – money or what may be the most precious to us.  We are commanded not to trust in riches or wealth because it all passes away and no matter our state here on earth, we all share the same ending.  The question is how will we spend this wealth (time) while we are here on Earth.  Yesterday we read in Mark about "The Greatest Commandment" – loving God with all our heart, mind, and strength.  We need to remember that this was also the "first" (greatest in importance) commandment that was given to the Hebrew people in Deuteronomy.  I take that as the way of living, connecting it to Proverbs 10:2, there needs to be fear of God as well.  With love and a dose of fear, we will learn how to live a long life, but a life honoring to God. 
 
            I struggle with this and I know it's easier said than done.  I know what I value the most in my personal life, and I know how hard it is for me to give it up.  It is a mixture of control and time.  I know this is what I value the most and to an extent what I love.  But we are commanded to love God first with all that I am…I have no problem singing that on Sunday mornings, but I know that I don't freely give it up all the rest of the time.  I pray that I am more like that widow who had nothing.  She gave what she had – the physical penny, but she also gave her time.  I pray that I will be like that Nazarite: be dedicated by separation – not to get lost in the crowd or get too comfortable.  It's a scary thought for me.  I thanks God for the OT and I am thankful for the mini kick-in-the-butts that He has been giving me recently.  I am now working on the growth and faith part. The trusting part where I know it's in my best interest to obey, but my selfishness isn't ready for that surrender yet.  Sigh.  J 

No comments:

Post a Comment