Monday, March 11, 2013

Monday, March 11, 2013 - the Tassels

March 11, 2013 – The Tassels

I have an older brother, who I love very much.  As kids, it was hard to see "the love" because we spent a lot of time fighting (mostly because the little brother always annoys the older brother - that's just what we do).  Since my dad was the disciplinarian of the family he always lovingly (and with the fear of God) told us who we were and explained his expectations of us.  For example, if we were going to the doctor's office he would say something like, "When we get there the two of you will sit down next to me and you can draw, read or play a game.  Now, I love you, but if you run around, fight, or embarrass us I will _____." (I'll let you fill in the blank…and, it wasn't a "timeout").  He would end this talk by saying, "You all represent me and your mother.  You're a Sullivan and we don't (do) ____."  I understood exactly what he meant.  He was giving us our identity.  

Just looking at my dad when we were out was enough to remind me of who I was and what His expectations were.  But, he talked about more than just behavior.  He was the first person to teach me about Jesus and the love of God.  There are moments when I feel like I can still hear him speaking because the things he taught me are etched in my memory.

"When you see the tassels, you will remember and obey all the commands of the LORD instead of following your own desires and defiling yourselves, as you are prone to do." (Numbers 15:39, NLT).  The tassels were a tangible reminder of identity in the Lord.  Sometimes we get all bent out of shape when we hear the word "commandments".  We think of rigid, sterile, unloving rules and regulations.  But, that was not God's intention.  The psalmists even say that the commands of God are a lamp and a light that guide the way (Psalm 119:105).  They restore the soul, make the simple wise, rejoice the heart, and give light to the eyes (Psalm 19:7-8).  God's ways are identity forming, life preserving, and life giving.  It is important that we remember them.

We all may have different ways of remembering Jesus, our identity in Him, and the great sacrifice that He made for us.  Personally, aside from the Word and prayer, whenever I think of my dad I think of how He pointed me toward Christ.  How do you remember Jesus?


---------
Kenny Sullivan
Grace EFC, Stamford, CT
(201) 218-0751
שלום

No comments:

Post a Comment