Thursday, January 8, 2009

January 8

Who are you in your heart of hearts? Who are you when no one is looking? That is what is revealed today in Abraham’s life. Here is a guy who has heard the voice of God on several occasions, seen the work of God, and yet when he gets into a difficult situation, his default mode of operations is lying.

Abraham had a serious character flaw. He was a liar. In our culture lying isn’t even seen as a character flaw these days.

One of the famous quotes at Grace Church is from Eric V.... he worked in NYC for years. He said, “To distinguish yourself in the city you only have to do one thing.... tell the truth.”

People lie all the time. Here are some of our most popular lies:

The check is in the mail.
I’ll give you a call
You get this one, I’ll pay next time
No, I’m not angry
No, that doesn’t bother me
I’ll pray for you
My wife doesn’t understand me
Trust me, I’ll take care of everything
Son, I promise we will go fishing soon
Of course, I love you
It’s not the money, it’s the principle of the thing
She means nothing to me
I’ve never done this before

It is so easy to lie. It is so dangerous to lie. Tell the truth at all times.

This devotional is found on http://gracebiblereaders.blogspot.com/
Go the site and register. We will be switching to an all blog method soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment