Monday, January 26, 2009

January 26

Today is accountability day. Email me and let me know what chapter you are on. Even if you are behind in the reading I want to hear from you.

Read Exodus 13-15 Don’t just do something, stand there!!!

Exodus 14:13-14 Moses answered the people, "Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. 14The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still."

Being still is so difficult for me. I am an action person. I like to cross things off my “Do List.” I like to see projects finished and work accomplished. The idea of deliverance through standing still grates against my nature. Well on this day the nation of Israel was facing a hopeless predicament. On the one side was the Egyptian army; on the other side was the Red Sea. This is what I would call a desperate situation.

So what is a person suppose to do in desperate situations? Our natural reaction is to fix the problem ourselves. To come up with a solution by our own resources. Well, there are times when there are no good alternatives, nowhere to turn – except God. This was one of those situations.

It is possible you are in a desperate situation today...
- it could be your health
- it could be your job
- it could be your spouse
- it could be your children
- it could be a mistake you made in your past

But no matter what your desperate situation is, there is a way of escape. And the way to find that escape route is to be still before God and watch his rescue. I am not encouraging negligence and apathy here, I am advocating waiting in stillness before God and asking him what the next step is. There are no hopeless situations with our God.

The question for today: Am I thinking it’s solely up to me to fight the battle that only God can fight?
Be still and know that God is God.

No comments:

Post a Comment