Monday, March 30, 2015

March 30: Ask and You Shall Receive

Deuteronomy 13:1-15:23
Luke 8:40-9:6
Psalm 71:1-24
Proverbs 12:5-7

The more time I spend with God, the more I find myself praying for our kids. Is there any more powerful motivation for a father to fall on his knees in prayer than the realization that he is increasingly powerless to protect and provide for his kids? Add to that the hidden fear his daughter may wind up dating a boy like he was when he was that age....

...ok, I just got back off my knees again after that thought.

My most heartfelt prayer for them no longer has to do with career or success (although I do still pray for that), but His protection, His guidance and His dominion over the hearts and lives. One only has to read about what goes on in school and in college, about employment prospects and growing competition, about drugs and alcohol, about the complete abandonment of God's teachings to realize how dependent we are upon God for our children's welfare and well being.

I admit, there are days I despair. Which is why today's story of Jairus and his daughter is so encouraging. What I took away from it was to keep praying for God's help - because if death isn't too late for Him to help Jairus's daughter, then it is never too late for Him to help any of our children. He will help when they have need and we ask for His aid, and He will help more powerfully than we can imagine. Jairus was looking for a healing...what he got instead was a resurrection. Other than if we stopped asking for help, why should God want to help Jairus's daughter more than any of His other children?

So I will ask. And I will keep asking. I will pray the psalmist prayer - "In You, Lord, I have taken refuge; let me never be put to shame. In Your righteousness, rescue me and deliver me; turn Your ear to me and save me." After all, He is our "rock of refuge, to which I can always go."

No comments:

Post a Comment