Sunday, March 22, 2015

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Saturday, March 22, 2015 [by Keesha Sullivan]

Luke 5: 4-5 it says, “4 When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, ‘Put out into deep water, and let down the nets for a catch.’5 Simon answered, ‘Master, we’ve worked hard all night and haven’t caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets.’

Even though Simon Peter was an experienced fishermen and he felt as though he knew there wouldn’t be any fish out in the deep, he took a step of faith and was obedient to Jesus’ request. He showed his doubt in what Jesus was saying to do, but he said, “…because you say so, I will let down the nets.” He listened and followed the Word of God in spite of his “logic.” 

I have found that the Lord asks me to do things that sometimes make me very uncomfortable and that seem to be “illogical.” He leaves the choice up to me whether to be obedient or not. For instance a few years ago, I had decided to go back to school. I had been in class for a few weeks, and I had been assigned a partner for a project. It was a night class and I didn’t know my partner or any of classmates very well.  Usually, everyone left quickly after class ended, and no one socialized much. God brought my partner to my mind one night and said to me, “Pray with her.” I was pretty sure from even just our few interactions that she wasn’t a believer, and she only wanted me to call her for the project.  But, with a slight uneasiness, I was obedient.  

In Luke 5: 6-8 it says, “When they had done so, they caught such a large number of fish that their nets began to break.  So they signaled their partners in the other boat to come and help them, and they came and filled both boats so full that they began to sink. When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at Jesus’ knees and said, ‘Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!”’  Simon Peter recognized the miracle that he encountered and the power and authority that Jesus held as the Son of God. Because of Simon Peter’s obedience, he was able to see God move in a supernatural way. 

My classmate responded to my prayer with tears and asked, “How did you know I needed that?” In total amazement and shock, I told her that it definitely wasn’t me, but that God had placed her on my heart. We both recognized the miracle. We saw the power and authority of God. Once I got off the phone with her, I just prayed and thanked God for Him allowing me to see His mighty hand move.

Lord, we ask that you would help us to be obedient to Your call. Help us to put away our “logic” and trepidation and follow You with our whole heart. Allow us to see Your mighty hand move. We love You Lord. Help us to be sold out, obedient followers. Help us to die to self, and to live for You.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment