Tuesday, March 3, 2015

March 2: What wealth?

Leviticus 25:47-27:13
Mark 10:32-52
Psalm 45:1-17
Proverbs 10:22

Proverbs 10:22
"The blessing of the Lord brings wealth,
without painful toil for it."

It is a prideful thing that I suggest my definition of wealth - the material and financial accumulation that results from either successful labor or lucky lottery numbers, and the joy and security that brought - is the correct definition of wealth. Thinking of that, I am reminded of my typical high school lunch. A creature of habit, for four years I brought a hot lunch of rice, mashed potatoes, Campbell's cream of mushroom soup, and precisely 7 vienna sausages. For four years, 5 days a week, during the school year. To me, that was a wealthy meal.

In the meantime, on Sundays, my parents would every so often take us to a Japanese restaurant for family lunch where, before the main course arrived, they would invariably indulge themselves in a vile dish of raw fish dipped in some strange green paste and soy sauce. Ugh. They tried to get us to try it, and after much resistance, when I finally succumbed, I realized how poor my definition of lunchtime wealth was.

That thinking is applicable to my definition of wealth. My parents knew better than I did - all the more reason my Heavenly Father does as well. And His definition of wealth, whatever that might be, will far greater, far more satisfying, far more joyful than mine ever could be. And it might not even involve anything financial in nature!

In his book, The Circle Maker, the author, Pastor Mark Batterson, says we should learn to pray for things we cannot achieve. Which makes sense - after all, why should we diminish God by praying for what we could do ourselves? He says it is important to pray for what we cannot achieve on our own, what we cannot imagine achieving on our own even if everything went right - then we would know it was Him all along.

I think Pastor Mark is right, but I think we can take it one step further. Beyond praying for what we cannot imagine achieving, I think we can pray for that which we cannot imagine at all, that which only God knows, and which only God knows is best for us. It sounds to me like there is such a wonderful surrender to His perfect knowledge and infinite power and provision in such a prayer.

"God, I give You a free hand in my life. Grant me not what I think I want, but what You know and want for me."

I cannot imagine what the answer to such a prayer might be. Wouldn't we all want to find out?

No comments:

Post a Comment