Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 - War, What is it Good For???

Leviticus 27:14 - Numbers 1:54
March 11:1-25
Psalm 46:1-11
Proverbs 10:23

I believe even to this day, men and women age 18 of Israel serve in the army as a requirement.  I could be wrong, but I did hear that all young people serve at least two years for their country.   As mentioned in Leviticus, any man 20 years or more was able to fight in the army.  Someone had mentioned to me years ago that if our country had instituted this requirement of our young people, they might perhaps have more respect for the Lord, their country, their families and other people in general.  One never knows how that would have turned out because it is not a requirement in the US.  We used to have the draft, and I can remember being very fearful that my only brother - first born - would be taken from the family and made to fight in the army.  My how things have changed from the days described in Leviticus.  I am grateful for all of our service men and women who take on the role of defending our country and sacrificing their lives and leaving their families to fight where the government commands.

I get very upset when I see the atrocities on the news of the Christians being slaughtered in other countries.  Even if they are not Christians, the rampant killing of innocent people is just too much to witness.  I could not imagine living in another country right now, or desiring to live in another country.  I also feel that you don't really get the full impact of war unless you know of someone or are related to someone who has been fighting for our country - or for freedoms in another country. 

I was basically unconcerned about what was going on in the other part of the world until my son in law went to fight in Iraq.  He had two deployments to Iraq, and the Lord was with him all the time.  The Lord brought him home safely, but I saw the toll it took on his whole family.  I know how I felt about the possibility of my brother dying in war, so I can feel the pain of mothers and fathers all over the world who are caught in the middle of these devastating conflicts.  We are very blessed to be living in the United States, but we must also be on guard because the enemy is very crafty and always rearing his ugly head.

So even as wars are raging all over the world, within our families, within our communities and within ourselves, I find comfort in Mark 11:22-23 - "Have faith in God, Jesus answered.  I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, Go throw yourself into the sea, and does NOT DOUBT IN HIS HEART BUT BELIEVES that what he says will happen, it will be done for him."

Lord God - I pray for myself and all the people of the world - that we come to know You more and free ourselves from the doubt of disbelief in Your power.   AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment