Monday, March 23, 2015

March 23: Finish the Journey

Numbers 36:1-Deuteronomy 1:46
Luke 5:29-6:11
Psalm 66:1-20
Proverbs 11:24-26

It is an interesting journey described in today's Psalm.  God displays His greatness, and then subjects the psalmist to the hardship of refinement and purification, before bringing him to a place of abundance.  That was where I thought the story stopped - after the trials, when we were permitted to enjoy His abundance.  But in today's reading, we see that isn't true.  Because after we arrive at the place of abundance, we are called to come to the temple with burnt offerings, to fulfill our vows to Him, to remember the promises we made when we were in trouble, to offer the sacrifices we committed.  And then after that, we are called to declare God's goodness to all around us.  

How often have I stopped far short of the end the psalmist describes?  I have allowed myself to get discouraged amidst the trials God has permitted me.  And when He has seen me through, like the nine lepers, I've often forgotten the promises I made when I was praying for help; and I certainly have been remiss in bearing witness to His goodness.  

All the more reason for gratitude then, what our Lord proclaims in the NT reading: that "it is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick."  And that he has "not come to call the righteous, but the sinners to repentance."

Thank You, God, for your constant, consistent mercy.  May I learn to finish the journey You have set for me with testimony, thanksgiving and praise.  

No comments:

Post a Comment