Friday, March 13, 2015

March 13 Remembering Trey Massey

Grace Church has been blessed over the years with many "Hall of Fame" people. Although a small church, we have been privileged to have so many giants of the faith become part of our family. One of those giants was Trey Massey. Yesterday Trey went home to be with his Lord Jesus. While we grieve his loss, we are excited about his gain. Because of the resurrection of Jesus 2000 years ago, everything has changed when it comes to death. Death is not a period; it is a comma. It is not a wall; it is door to a new world, a world we can't even imagine.

Today I would like to share with you the way Trey touched my life. Trey was bigger than life, and just being in his presence was awesome. He was the type of guy who when he entered the room, the room changed. He was the life of the party and a definite gamer. He would invent new and creative ways to play games. One New Year's Eve he asked all of us to write down three predictions for the next year. This is a tradition we copied and still practice in our family. Most of all Trey was fun. In a day when Christians are portrayed as dull and boring he broke that stereotype to smithereens.

Trey was a great husband and father. He loved Kelly and his three daughters. There wasn't a prouder father than when his girls sang L.O.V.E. at church. He also loved my family. My daughter Jenelle was invited over to their house for many sleepovers. His investment in people will be his legacy. The countless people he touched over the years will forever remember how he loved them.  

Trey was a great friend. Whether it was sitting around a picnic table in our back yard, playing volleyball, listening to his Best of Bread album while in the swimming pool or playing tennis, it was great to hang out with him. By the way, I was never able to handle his cannonball serve to my backhand.

The time Trey had his greatest impact on me was in 2001 when I went through a significant depression. His words of encouragement and his acts of friendship were used by the Lord to help bring me out of the downward spiral I was in. Trey also showed up last summer to encourage me after my heart attack. His ministry to hurting friends will be sorely missed.

Like all of us, Trey had his frustrations and moments of doubt in life. But the Lord was the strength of his life. And the Lord's strength gave him the ability to always see the glass half full. I, for one ,will deeply miss my friend, Trey.

The take away from all of this is to live this day to the max. Life is too short to waste even one day.

 

 



--
"Multiplying leaders to change the world"

No comments:

Post a Comment