Monday, October 1, 2012

Saturday, September 29, 2012

(Posted on behalf of Jon Lanuza
Saturday, September 29, 2012


First, I ask forgiveness for the tardiness of this reflection. Two days
late...

Psalm 79 is so rich in guidance and reminder and blessing. Firstly, it
deals with a topic so close to my heart - the persistence of my sinfulness,
and the even greater persistence of God's love. How comforting to be
reminded of the Israelite's repetitive sinfulness, even in the face of God's
unfailing blessing. He free them from the Egyptians, they declare it would
have been better to die as slaves. He passes them through the sea and
drowns their enemies, and they complain about food and water. He breaks the
rock open and water gushes out in a desert, and He sends bread and meat they
have but to gather, and they complain about something else. The persistence
of their sinfulness!

"Yet He was merciful;
He forgave their inquiries,
and did not destroy them.
Time after time He restrained His anger
and did not stir up His full wrath."

The start of the psalm is equally close to my heart. It admonishes me to
teach this to my children

"so the next generation would know them,
even the children Yet to be born
and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God
and would not forget His deeds
but would keep His commands."

What greater inheritance could I pass on to my children than a relationship
with our Lord?

Father, amidst the discouragement of the constancy of my sinfulness, remind
me please that Your love is more powerful than my sin. And help me to
nurture my children's relationship with You that they too might be
encouraged when they inevitably stumble.m

Jon Lanuza

No comments:

Post a Comment