Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Nehemiah 7, 11-12

Nehemiah 7, 11-12
 
I just came home from a week long Leadership Conference in Houston, TX.  If you don't know, I'm a store manager for Starbucks and have worked for the company for over 10 years.  My peers have dubbed me "the cheerleader" because I love my company.  Our theme last week was "Leading through the eyes of humanity," and I left inspired and excited to get back to my team.  Our values at Starbucks is a list of 5 and includes "integrity, entrepreneurial spirit and drive, and passion for everything you do," just to name a few.  These values came to mind as I read about Nehemiah this morning as he governed and lead his people…God's people.       
Jerusalem is built, the walls are up, the people are back in The Land.  Now, Nehemiah has the task of populating the capital city.  He was a leader of the people and his actions were decided based on the good of the people and from the influence of God.  He kept the gates closed for protection, even if it was not traditional during this time.  He credits God, with, "So my God put it into my heart…" (7:5) when placing nobles, officials, and leadership in place.  This leadership team was placed based on their "integrity" and how fervent their fear of God was. 
From reading the numbers and redistribution of families and people, it seems he was very thorough, complete, and paid attention to who the families were.  He was fair and just.  He had the best interest in mind of the families and tribes by putting 1 out of 10 in Jerusalem.  Keep in mind that the placement of these families will be influential through the centuries when other ruling nations take over.  We see the tribes of Benjamin and Judah.  Jesus came from the line of Judah. 
In all these tribes, everyone had a role and job (like the body of Christ.)  We see the priests, the scribes, the people who worked the land, the gate keeper and watchmen.  The descendants of Asaph were still around and sang in the courts just like they has centuries before.  The city of Jerusalem is growing, and Nehemiah is focused on building it to God's glory and honor.  There is worship and praise to God and I will just imagine it happening in the streets and echoing through the halls.  There are lessons we can learn from Nehemiah, even in chapters that are easy to skim through (oh more numbers and names I can't pronounce.)  But really.  Many of us may be in leadership roles in one capacity or another, or may be in a leadership position one day.  Be wise and seek God…
 

No comments:

Post a Comment