Monday, October 8, 2012

Monday October 5th Nehemiah - building for the Kingdom.

I really enjoyed reading today about how the people of Israel worked together to build the walls of the city, Jerusalem.  This is the city that God chose to place his name, to have the temple built where his covenant would rest.  I see it as very symbolic of God's kingdom, a place of refuge and rest where one could encounter God and basket in his glory and grace.  I think this may be why Nehemiah was so upset to hear about the state of the city walls.  They did not accurately reflect the strength of the kingdom and the God of the people who called it home.
So I had to ask myself, how does this relate to me?  How does this relate to our church?  How does this relate to God's kingdom today?
What really struck me were the passages that spoke of how so many people worked on the wall that was in front or next to their home.  With each person working right where they lived so much more work was accomplished in very little time.  That part of the wall meant so much more to them because it was right where they lived.  By working diligently (or zealously as it says Baruch worked) they accomplished much and other nations could not help but recognize how great the God of Israel was.
I hear it said often that my mission field is right where I live and work.  But this reading today really shows me how when I truly do focus on living out my life for Christ right where I am so much more can be accomplished for God's kingdom.  When my neighbors have a need I should be there to help them.  It is easy to sit and complain about other and what they should or shouldn't be doing but it is another thing to see the opportunity in helping my neighbors needs be met.  I want to be a light for Christ in my life and through my life so that when the people who live and work around me see me they see something beautiful, I want them to see Christ living in me.  I want my actions and words to help build up God's Kingdom, to point people to the God who loves me and who loves them.  I want them to see the powerful and gracious God who showered his love upon me for so many years. I want them to want to experience that for themselves.
If each of us, like those in the story today, focused on the people who are living their lives around us and worked to build them up and love them right where they are and shine the light of Christ into their lives, then I think we would be amazed at what God would do with that.  We would be amazed at how quickly and how big God would build his kingdom through each of us. 
We are not simply members of Grace Church on Courtland Ave. in Stamford.  We are members of God's family, the body of Christ.  When we live out our Christian lives everyday by meeting the needs of others we are being the Church as a whole, the light of Christ.  We are working to build God's kingdom.  We show the world around us how great and mighty our God is.  We show the world around us how the love God has others.  We build God's kingdom for all of eternity.  That is work with a purpose and a blessing.
For the rest of this week I challenge you to walk out of your front door each morning and say to the Lord, "I am read to work right here where you have placed me.  Show me what you would have me do and equip me to do it."

No comments:

Post a Comment