Tuesday, October 2, 2012

October 2

Zechariah 10:1-2
Ask the Lord for rain in the springtime;
it is the Lord who makes the storm clouds.
He gives showers of rain to men,
and plants of the field to everyone.
The idols speak deceit,
diviners see visions that lie;
they tell dreams that are false,
they give comfort in vain.
Therefore the people wander like sheep
opressed for lack of a shepherd.
 
Of all the verses in today's reading, these are the ones that stuck with me. They reminded me of my tendency to solve my own problems or to seek comfort in things of this world. How often do I wander looking for answers anywhere except for the one place I will find them?
 
When we need help, where else do we think we will find it? God created the universe and all that is in it. If we need rain, who better to ask the One who created the storm clouds? The help and comfort we may seek from things of this world (idols) will only leave us lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment