Tuesday, January 22, 2019

The Stormy Sea

January 22, 2019

Genesis 44-45:28, Matthew 14:13-36, Psalm 18:37-50, Proverbs 4:11-13
 
This is one of my favorite days to read during the Bible 365 plan.  I love the story of Joseph.  It has always been one of my favorites.  The story of what faith and forgiveness looks like.  I've been thinking about what I would say if I was in his shoes. He's had years and years to replay those events in his mind, the day his brothers betrayed him. Years and years of thinking "If I ever see them again, this is what I would do..." I have a couple of those instances that I think about and what I wish I could have done differently or what I should have said. Joseph's reaction is a glimpse of Christ's total forgiveness towards us. My favorite scene is his reveal and giving total Glory to God. 

But I also got Matthew 14 and one of my other favorite stories and scenes in the Bible. I'm totally cheating today because my blog entry was already written for me in two ways. Most of this I wrote in 2014 (so for some of you it will be a repeat), but the entry below I wrote back in 2005 (21 years old) in my parents living room.  I remember the day and time in my life exactly.  The storms in my life surrounded life decisions like college, majors, careers.  It included my first serious boyfriend and who was I thought supposed to marry.  I wrote this to my mom…they were just thoughts at the time, but I always look back at them because the storms have changed in my life, but thankfully God's promises ring true. There are times I am still stuck in the water and still need this reminder.
 
"I was comforted and intrigued when a couple weeks ago you reminded me about Peter walking on water with JC. This morning I couldn't help but read that story over and over again, as Matthew recorded it. I saw the storm and how each of us have one in our life. I saw and could feel the cold waves crashing in the storm and the chilling wind that made me hide.
 
I recognized in my own life how I am just a little girl standing in the middle of a tempest, the waves represented by life, careers, purpose and the unknown future. 
The winds that surround me being that special person, love, and again, the unknown future.
 
Just like Peter I look all around and I lose sight at the One standing in front of me calling my name. Like Peter, I look around and I'm scared.
 
I begin to sink. Mommy... I sink. Lower and lower...the water creeps up my legs to my knees...I panic...
 
But He is there. He grabs my hand and helps me back to my feet. He stops the storm. He is my comfort, my Protector and the One who can alone save me.
 
I am still standing in the storm, and I'm trying to walk, to keep focused. its hard. I cant help but look around me at the violent winds and storm that surrounds.  But I know the answer. It's simple. Its my Jesus standing in front of me reaching for my hand.  All I have to do is look at Him, reach out, and he will hold me."

No comments:

Post a Comment