Saturday, January 5, 2019

January 5: The Roadmap of the Beatitudes

Genesis 11:1-13:4

Matthew 5:1-26

Psalm 5:1-12

Proverbs 1:24-27


"Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven."


I read this, and I felt the beginnings of despair at the aggressiveness with which so many have set these commands aside, and taught - indeed, commanded - others to do the same, even on pain of imprisonment or death.  In the middle east, stories of attacks on churches and beheadings.  In China, the demolition of churches, the imprisonment of pastors and congregants for "reeducation".  And here - the perhaps more subtle but no less insidious practices - the insistence that fetuses aren't human, that one can change genders at will, that feelings define reality.  


In this context, the Beatitudes are of great comfort.  They are a reminder that the persecution of Christians isn't new, and isn't perhaps anywhere near as bad as it has been in the past.   We can respond to the world's assault with a poverty of spirit that humbly recognizes our complete dependence on God and, as we recognize His generosity, mourn the sinfulness with which the world responds.  Perhaps together, this humility and sadness will lead us to a meekness, a docility of spirit even in the face of all this trouble, maybe even a willingness to show mercy to those who oppress us.  Through all this, this purity of thought and purpose, we may get a glimpse of the God this sinful world so desperately tries to hide.  And we may be so led to pray for those who oppress us, to want for them the greatest of blessings despite their oppression - reconciliation with God.  


The amazing thing is how clearly God speaks.  For the times we are faced with earthly, sinful persecution, God has given us the Beatitudes, so that we might find comfort and reassurance - not just after the persecution ends, but even while it exists and persists.  Our comfort is in the knowledge that ours is the kingdom of heaven.  


Listen to my words, Lord,

    consider my lament.

Hear my cry for help,

     my King and my God,

     for to you I pray…


1 comment:

  1. I have been diagnosed with COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and my doctor has given me Seebri Breezhaler, it's an inhalation powder 44 micrograms. I take it once a day in the morning. It's a great help to breathing, it's a new medicine on test, 10 out of 10 from me! But still yet i was told it has no cure for it. I was fed up to nearly take my life until my son saw a post of a lady who testify that there's a cure for copd and she was diagnosed with this disease for 8 years before she came arrow a website of an Africa clinic. Which provide natural herbal herbs to cure copd and she purchase it through online. My son purchase their copd herbal remedy on my behalf and give it to me to use with the instructions given on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed i was totally cured of this deadly disease within 12 weeks of usage. I advise whosoever reading my testimony should visit www.solutionhealthherbalclinic.com and seek for your solution, You also can email at solutionsherbalclinic@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete