Friday, November 9, 2018

Nov 9

Psalm 107

Holy habits are essential for a victorious Christian life. There are two habits in our reading today that must become daily practices in our lives if we want to grow. The first is reading the Word.

Psalm 107:20  He sent forth his word and healed them; he rescued them from the grave.

When we read the Word of God it brings healing to us and it saves us from death. I have seen God's Word heal my marriage, my family and my life. Without the Word I would probably be a hippie, living on a commune somewhere in Vermont. But God's Word has healed my life. It is still healing my life. That is why I take time every day to read it and give it top priority.

The second habit is giving thanks.

Psalm 107:21-22   Let them give thanks to the LORD for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for men.  Let them sacrifice thank offerings and tell of his works with songs of joy.

The Hebrew word thanksgiving means, "to throw out the hands." It is the idea of publicly praising God as you extend your hands in adoration.

We don't always feel like doing this but because of our love for God and our appreciation of everything He has done for us, we discipline ourselves to extend our hands and declare our thanks.

This week, during our African Challenge, I have been reminded of how blessed I am. When I was in Africa, I literally saw people who had no access to clean water. I saw people who only had one set of clothes. I saw people who never held a Bible in their hands. On our visit to Kenya we encountered a mother and child who were eating rocks to fill their stomachs. The great tragedy in our country is we are so blessed, and yet we don't recognize it, nor do we honor the One who has provided these blessings.

So, take time right now and verbally express to God five blessings you are thankful for.


--
"Multiplying leaders to change the world"

No comments:

Post a Comment