Saturday, August 4, 2018

August 4: Of Growing Faith


2 Chronicles 35:1-36:23
1 Corinthians 1:1-17
Psalm 27:1-6
Proverbs 20:20-21

Psalm 27:2-3, 5

When the wicked advance against me to devour me
   It is my enemies and my foes who will stumble and fall.
Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear;
   Though war break out against me, even then I will be confident.

For in the day of trouble He will keep me safe in His dwelling;
   He will hide me in the shelter of His sacred tent and set me high upon a rock.

My poor daughter.  She has a father who loves her, who wants to protect her, who struggles to let her experience life on her own.  She has a father who, if he had his way, would not just solve her problems and fight her battles, he would find a way to prevent the problems from arising, the battles from even beginning.  He would find a way to stop the wicked from advancing, the army from laying siege, the day of trouble from dawning. 

He would drive her crazy (he still does, actually).   And he would stunt her growth, growth that requires experience in order to take place, challenge in order to happen, failure in order to flourish.  

Faith is the same way.  It doesn't grow in Utopia.  It grows in the dirt of trial, under the heat of fear and the deluge of overwhelming challenge.  This is why God allows the enemy to advance, the army to lay siege, the day of trouble to dawn.  So our faith has the opportunity to grow, and to grow strong.  And when it does, which - so long as we stay the course, it inevitably will - we will then be confident, and we will see the enemy stumble and fall.  

Father, when trial comes, remind us that, just as we step back to allow our children to learn from challenging experience, You are permitting us the opportunity to grow in faith, and in relationship with You.  Help us not to be discouraged, but to carry on.  And take that mustard seed of faith we offer, and grow it into the enormous tree.  

No comments:

Post a Comment