Thursday, May 24, 2018

Thursday, May 24

THURSDAY, MAY 24, 2018

14 "Do not let your hearts be troubled.  You believe in God; believe also in me.  2 My Father's house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you?  3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.  4 You know the way to the place where I am going." (John 14:1-4)


Today's reading from John highlights the confusion that the disciples faced about Jesus's coming death.  Their understanding of the Messiah didn't square with the "suffering servant" described in Isaiah 42, but rather with a triumphant king.  Having demonstrated His great love for the disciples by washing their feet (John 13), He know explains that He would be going to His Father's house and would prepare rooms for them.  Thomas and Philip spoke up and requested clarification, leading Jesus to several declarations:

(1) That He was the way, the truth, and the life (John 14:6);
(2) That Jesus is in the Father, and the Father is in Christ (John 14:10); and
(3) That prayers offered in the Name of Jesus receive answers (John 14:13,13).


John 14:6 holds special significance for me, given that this verse opened my eyes to knowing God.  Prior to my sophomore year in college, I found myself wondering, "Is Jesus the only way to God?"  This question came about, I believe, not due to my own inquiry, but rather because God had placed it on my heart through the Holy Spirit.  Having read through three of the four Gospels that summer of 1998, I returned to campus with a burning desire to know the Person in the Word.  I shared this question with my friend, who connected me with a ministry leader.  On September 18, 1998, this leader shared "The Four Spiritual Laws" with me, which included John 14:6.  Having read that verse, my question found its answer:  "Yes!"

Whereas I had though that the exclusivity of the Gospel seemed narrow-minded, I now realized that it represented the greatest portion of grace ever given.  God sent His only Son to suffer in our place.  Yet, we underestimate the gravity of this sacrifice, thinking that we somehow deserve something from God.  I soon found myself rejoicing in that, while I was still a sinner, Christ died for me. (Romans 5:8)  I experienced tremendous freedom in knowing that Christ had fully paid my debt! (Romans 6)

Have you embraced Jesus Christ as the Way, the Truth, and the Life?  Have you experienced the joy of receiving Him into your heart?  How about today?


Lord God, thank You for the tremendous gift of Your Son, Jesus Christ.  Help us to know You better today through Jesus Christ.  Create in us a hunger for righteousness.  Bring Your Word to life in our hearts and minds.  We love You and honor You today.  In Jesus's mighty Name, amen.

Pat Barrett:  The Way (https://youtu.be/MOzsJlk8p6I)


No comments:

Post a Comment