Monday, May 14, 2018

Blog Post Monday May 14th

A Prayer For Wholehearted Obedience (1 Samuel 15:1-26)
 
Lord I know you still speak to us today.  You use your word as a means of communication, as a way to give us instructions for our lives today.  I know that your word and commands are not merely suggestions for me to pick and choose through.  I can't just disregard one in place of another.  In the book of 1 Samuel I read how you gave clear instructions to Saul about what he was to do and he obeyed most of it.  But following most of your commands is not following you wholeheartedly.  It is not trusting you wholly.  Saul kept some of the animals you told him not to keep because he said he was going to offer them as a sacrifice to you.  He disregarded your instructions with what he thought looked like good intentions.  What it actually was, was disobedience, he put his own wants above you.  Lord I don't want to be disobedient like Saul.  I don't want to disregard part of your word by using another part as an excuse to disobey.  I want to live in wholehearted obedience.  It isn't always easy to obey, and when I struggle it is usually because I am struggling to trust you.  I can't always see clearly the path that lay ahead and it makes me feel vulnerable and afraid.  Sometimes I know it is my own pride that causes my disobedience. I am thinking more of what I want than what you call me to.  Lord make me aware of any disobedience in my life today and the cause of it.  I don't want to live as Saul and deceive myself into thinking that I am obeying you if I am not. Forgive me for any disobedience in my life. Forgive me for any lack of trust.  Forgive me for any pride that puts my wants or thoughts above yours.  I ask for a heart and mind to see your truth and for any disobedience I am allowing to live in my life be revealed.  I then ask for the strength and courage to surrender it to you and to take the steps needed to live a life that is trusting you, that is wholehearted and obedient.  Remind me daily that you love me and whatever you command or ask of me is done so out of love.  Lord, if helping me to see my disobedience means that you will use others, like Samuel in Saul's life, help me to be ready to listen to them, learn from them, and to grow.  I thank you that you love me the way that you do and that you are here to help guide me, encourage me and strengthen me.  May today be a day of greater obedience in you.
 
AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment