Saturday, May 19, 2018

May 19: Of Obedience When It is Difficult

1 Samuel 24:1-25:44
John 10:22-42
Psalm 116:1-19
Proverbs 15:20-21

Today's psalm is a prayer of thanksgiving and praise. God has answered the psalmist's prayer.  The psalmist declares that God has "delivered me from death, my eyes from tears, my feet from stumbling…".  It is an after-the-fact declaration of obedience and faith, and it is wonderful that the psalmist has seen fit to recognize what God has done, and be grateful.

In today's OT reading, however, David shows us something else: a before-the-help, during-the-crisis declaration of faith in God.  Consider that he'd been nothing but obedient and loyal to Saul who, before David had fled, had tried to pin him with a spear - twice!  And who now was searching for David, in order to kill him.  Saul had now unwittingly put himself in a position of helplessness before the very man he sought to kill.

And David's response?  "The Lord forbid that I should do such a thing to my master, the Lord's anointed, or lay my hand on him; for he is the anointed of the Lord."  And he forbids them from attacking Saul.  He stops them from ending the unjustified threat on his life, because He honored the Lord.  This is a part of the character of David that God so loved, and this unflinching obedience was part of why God saw fit to install David as king over Israel.  

In this I am reminded of Philippians 2:8-9 where Paul, writing about our Lord, says "And being found in appearance as man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to death - even death on a cross!  Therefore God exalted Him to the highest place and gave Him the name that is above every name…"

Wouldn't it be great if we could be that obedient, in the face of both injustice and suffering?  I know I struggle with it every day.  I struggle with it with my superiors, when I disagree with them; with tithes, when I think about the cost of college educations; with service, when I think I deserve some rest.  I certainly don't have the ability to transform myself - I can only trust that God wants me to have an obedient heart, and will change me if I ask.

Father, I look up to the examples set, first by David, then by our Lord.  I want to be that obedient, but struggle with myself, often losing the battle.  Take my heart and change it so that, however unfair, unjust or undeserved my circumstances might seem, that I look to You and respond in faith and surrender to Your commands.  Help me to trust that, in doing so, You will give me reason to praise you with Psalm 116.

No comments:

Post a Comment