Sunday, May 20, 2018

May 20, 2018

1 Samuel 26:1-28:25

In today's reading, we see Saul face to face with the Philistine army. "He was afraid: terror filled his heart". He inquired of the Lord but received no answer. His Plan B was to go to a medium woman, to a psychic. He asked her to bring forth the spirit of Samuel. The message he got was terrifying. All these made me think of the strategies I adopt when faced with my own "Philistine army". I wouldn't run to a psychic, but many times, both my plans, A and B are variations of my Ego. There is no God in them.

"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way." C.S. Lewis

Many times, I find myself in the second category. What stops me from turning straight to God when facing a challenging situation? Few things:

1.       My self- sufficiency is still on autopilot. My first instinct is to design my own action plan. Nothing wrong with acting, but the action should be aligned with God's will. My action should have its roots in time spent with God. The autopilot should be prayer. "And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests". Ephesians 6:18. "The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective". James 5:16

 

2.       I can handle it. Deep down inside, I believe that I got it. Yet the Lord tells us: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight".  Proverbs 3, 5-6. "Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil". Proverbs 3:7. My own wisdom is a sure path to exhaustion and frustration.

3.       I believe that God has something better to do than to get involved in my problems. Does he really care? The Lord calls us sons and daughters, the apple of his eyes. In the Bible we are always reminded of his unfailing love, his great compassion and faithfulness. "Whoever touches you touches the apple of his eye ". Zechariah 2:8. It's up to us to believe. We are invited to live the promises!

 

4.       I'm stuck in the mentality that as a daughter of the King, I should not have problems. I keep forgetting: "In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33. I forget that the Lord didn't promise me a pain free life, but he did promise his help through whatever life brings.

 

Lord please help us to be consistent, and always follow you!

No comments:

Post a Comment