Wednesday, April 25, 2018

April 25

Luke 22

I marvel at how Jesus showed compassion to the servant of the high priest who just had his ear cut off.  Our Lord knew what was coming next for Him.  He was so disturbed by it all that an angel from heaven had to come and strengthen Him.  He was so distraught that He sweat blood.  Yet, when He was approached by the chief priests, He didn't defend Himself, and when one of His followers acted out in anger and struck with a sword, Jesus healed the wounded high priest.  Jesus is love. In light of all the world events sparked by anger that are happening around us, I believe this passage and the message that only the love of God can overcome anger is vital to our mission as we spread the Gospel.  Oh how I pray for that wisdom, discernment and strength.  Oh how I pray that my first reaction to confrontation is not to be defensive or get angry, but I fall short just about every time.  Oh how I pray to renew and conform my mind to be like my Lord.  And yet even as I fall short, even as I react in a manner that doesn't always reflect the God I serve, I'm still loved. As I prayed over this while I was reading, I was reminded of times, as recent as yesterday, that it is almost a reflex reaction to allow a situation to stir anger up in our souls.  I pray that as we go into this day, as we are faced with different situations which will tempt us to react in a worldly manner as opposed to a Godly one, we remember that Jesus is love. God gave us free will.  We can respond to situations in anger and strike with a sword, or we can remember that Jesus' loving touch brings healing and restoration. Let the sword we swing be the Word of God.  I pray we stay focused on our Master.

Randi 

No comments:

Post a Comment