Saturday, July 29, 2017

Sunday, July 30

"Your rod and your staff, they comfort me" Psalm 23:4

Psalm 23 is one of my favorite psalms. However, many times, I wished to erase that verse from the psalm. I had a hard time with it. It triggered my old belief in a punishing God. I have a long history of believing in a distant, punishing God. It took God's mercy, and grace, and a lot of assistance from my mentor, to be saved from that belief. It was a huge stronghold in my life. At times, I am still tempted to go back to that old thinking, but through God's love I no longer dwell in that.

However, even in the context of being saved from the image of the punishing God, I still had a hard time with the rod and the staff. I pictured a shepherd hitting an animal in order to make him obey. To me, that was the purpose of the rod and the staff. I tried to convince myself that punishment could be out of love, but still, I couldn't get myself to like the verse.

Recently, through God' mercy, I came across an explanation of the rod and the staff, that completely restored my peace and my confidence in a loving God.

"The shepherd's rod is a weapon to protect sheep from thieves and wild animals. It is about two and a half feet long with bits of iron embedded in the head." It made me understood that the purpose of the rod was not for punishment but protection. It is meant for my protection, against enemies or anything else that threatens me. I picture the Lord with the rod in his hand, protecting me, and all of us, as we walk the path of this life.

"The shepherd's staff is longer with a crook in one end, and is used to guide the sheep. It can also hook a lamb to lift it out of danger." Again, the staff is not for punishment, but for gentle guidance. How many times do I slip into places, where I really don't belong, by worrying, gossiping, being afraid, but the Lord is always ready to grab me, and pull me out.

It's interesting how the Devil tries to corrupt even the Word of God and attack us, exactly where we hurt or struggle. Luckily the one that is in us, is greater than the one who is in the world. (1 John 4:4)

Lord thank you for being such an awesome Shepherd to our souls! Glory and honor and praise to You!

No comments:

Post a Comment