Saturday, July 15, 2017

July 15: Of sin, repentance, redemption and relationship

1 Chronicles 19:1-21:30
Romans 2:25-3:8
Psalm 11:1-7
Proverbs 19:10-12

A long one today, I hope it is worth the read. I focused on the story of David in the OT reading. A few thoughts:

HOWEVER GOOD OUR INTENTIONS, SIN IS SIN. By the time we get to 1 Chr 21:1 today, we have read that (i) David's attempt at diplomacy was met with treachery; (ii) leading to a battle with so great enemy Joab worried he or his brother Abishai might need help; and (3) then many more battles after that.

We also read of David putting the crown on his head, accepting the job of king - and protector? - of Israel. And so, despite all the wars won, I don't think it farfetched to believe David's concerns might have shifted somewhat; from obeying God, to protecting Israel - still the best of intentions, really. And I wonder - did he then worry if he had what he needed to do the job?

TEMPTATION IS FROM SATAN - AND HE LOOKS FOR THE OPPORTUNITY! It seems that it is in this moment of well-intentioned distraction from God's will that David is tempted by Satan, who incites him to take a census of Israel. Some say it was pride at the size of his army that motivated David; a kinder opinion would suggest it was to find out what resources he had to protect Israel...not that it matters, because in both cases he had ceased to trust in God for Israel's defense. Satan saw his distraction from God, and seized the opportunity.

WE CAN CHOOSE OUR ACTIONS... David had many opportunities to step back from sin. He could've not ordered the census in the first place. And he could've listened to Joab, who counseled against the census when David ordered him to conduct it. He chose not to.

...BUT (the story notwithstanding) WE CANNOT CHOOSE THEIR CONSEQUENCES. Not the best example of this, since God gave David 3 choices of consequence for the sin he committed; in any case, each choice - 3 years of famine, 3 months of fleeing from the enemy he feared, or 3 days of plague - were each pretty terrible. God let David choose the packaging, but David had to take the bitter medicine.

YET THROUGH IT ALL, GOD'S PRESENCE, LOVE, MERCY AND RELATIONSHIP ARE UNDIMINISHED. Most of us, when someone ticks us off, we withdraw, we move away. Not so our Lord. David was NOT condemned for his sin. God didn't withdraw - He continued to speak to David. And, in other text, we are told God was "grieved" at the consequences of David's sin.

A few lessons for me today, that are hopefully worth sharing:

1. It is important I keep my focus on God. It is easy enough to avoid the temptation of the obvious sin - say, theft, for example; it is harder to avoid the temptation when the sin is packaged in good intentions. The only way is to stay focused on God and His will, even when I might not understand the why of it all.

2. When Satan tempts me, as he inevitably will, I need to remember that the choice to sin is my own. And yes, it is a choice - one I do NOT have to make.

3. And when I DO, inevitably, sin, it will help to remember that even the most painful consequences are from the hands of a God who has not ceased to love me despite my sin; and while I may not want them or understand them, those consequences are rooted in the same love that gives me the good things I happily accept.

4. And finally, after I do sin, I need to remember that He is there, waiting, ready to accept me back, and that if I feel apart from Him it is because I have chosen to stay away. He is waiting.




Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment