Sunday, July 2, 2017

Sunday, July 2


Acts 21:17-36


Do people really change?

In Acts 21:17-36, the Apostle Paul returns to Jerusalem. He is welcomed warmly by the brothers, but almost killed by the other Jews. Once again we find him ready to die for his faith. The Apostle Paul was born, in Tarsus of Cilicia. He studied Torah, at the school of Gamaliel, in Jerusalem. By his own account, Paul was a dedicated Jew, and one of the best Pharisees of his generation. (Philippians 3:4–6; Galatians 1:13–14) He played an important role in persecuting the early disciples of Jesus, in the area of Jerusalem. He was present when Stephen was stoned. He was sent to Damascus on a mission to "arrest them and bring them back to Jerusalem."(Acts 9) It was on the road to Damascus, where he encountered the resurrected Jesus. His life was forever changed. From that point on, Paul became a follower of Jesus. Almost 2000 years later, he is described, as one of the greatest names in Christianity.


He definitely changed. The catalyst for that change was his encounter with the Lord. Real change comes only when we truly meet the Lord. "All ministry comes out of relationship. Power comes out of suffering, and anointing comes out of intimacy." (Graham Cooke). When we get close to the Lord, everything changes. "The kingdom of God is not a matter of talk but of power." (1 Corinthians 4:20) I don't think we can come in contact with the power of God, and remain the same. "That power is the same as the mighty strength he exerted when he raised Christ from the dead, and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realm. (Ephesians 1:19-20)


 I tried to change myself so many times. I moved to a different country, I pursued relationships, I made friends, I changed schools, and jobs. I've read a tone of self-help books that promised solutions, in a few easy steps. I pursued degrees that were supposed to make me a better person. None of my attempts to change or fix my life worked.  I did get a sense of temporary relief, but it was just temporary. At times, it felt like, I was chasing a mirage, full of promises but unattainable.  How many times I engaged in trying to change others? The more I tried, the less I succeeded, and the more frustrated and exhausted I was.


Now, I realize that true change comes when we have an encounter with Jesus, on the road of life. I think that every changed person, has a Damascus encounter story. One of the slogans at Grace Church is, "Love God, Love People, Make Disciples". The only way to bring change, is to bring Jesus in. Sometimes Jesus will speak directly into a person's life or situation, as it was with Paul. Most of the time, it is our mission to bring Jesus in, to facilitate a Damascus encounter, to make disciples. We are not to waste our time in ridiculous, earthly attempts to change, but we need to believe in the power that we have as Christians. What can I do when people have no interest in experiencing God? I can still bring Jesus in, by praying for them.


There are many people traveling on the road of life right now, but how many will get to meet with the resurrected Christ?  What can I do about it?

 


No comments:

Post a Comment