Monday, May 30, 2016

May 30: Of sacrifice and remembrance

2 Samuel 15:23-16:23
John 18:25-19:22
Psalm 119:113-128
Proverbs 16:10-11

Here in the US, it is the close of Memorial Day, when we remember all those in the armed services who have fallen in service of the country, be it here at home, or elsewhere around the world.  I found it interesting how so many memes, on Facebook and elsewhere, so many essays written, seem to begin with the premise that people have forgotten what the holiday was about.  There was even a video where some pundit interviewed the youth, and their understanding of, let alone their appreciation for, the significance of the holiday was appallingly limited to a holiday at the start of the summer, a day made for cold drinks around a barbecue.  They'd forgotten the reason for the day, and the sacrifices of those we are meant remember, sacrifices made in service of their country and her citizens.  

I have no right to get sanctimonious, though.  In today's NT reading, Jesus is still alive...but His death is imminent.  He's been denied by His disciple, He's been flogged, crowned with thorns, made to carry His cross, and crucified.  His sacrifice He makes in service and love of His people - indeed, of all people, myself included.  And yet...and yet...how easily do I forget?  How often do I say I "have no king but Caesar?  How often do I find it easier to set Him aside so I can continue to gratify myself?  

Father, as we remember those who have fallen in service of the nation and the life we are able to leave because of their sacrifice, may we always remember the sacrifice of Your Son and aspire to the life He offers us with Him, each day into forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment