Monday, May 23, 2016

May 23: Of Judases then and now


2 Samuel 2:12-3:39
John 13:1-30
Psalm 119:1-16
Proverbs 15:29-30

"What you are about to do, do quickly."

Have you ever wondered why Judas did it?  Why he betrayed the man whose life he'd shared, the rabbi he'd followed for all of three years, the man whom so many Jews thought was to be the political savior of Israel, the one who would free them from Roman bondage?  

Was it the money?  The thirty pieces of silver?  Perhaps...because we already know Judas had been stealing from their funds.  Did he need to justify his betrayal to himself - that he was doing it for the good of Israel and, after all, he was doing it with the blessing of the religious authorities - surely they knew from right and wrong?

Did he do it because he was afraid he was going to get caught...that Jesus already knew he'd been stealing, and would turn him out, and so he was saving his own skin by turning Jesus in first?

What reason could he have had to have betrayed a Man whom he'd seen feed the multitudes, heal the sick and raise the dead?  

What reason do we?  What reason do I?  The other day, my wife and I prayed for God's intervention in a dispute, and He answered our prayers.  Against all odds, things were resolved favorably.  You want to know how big a miracle it was?  It happened not because I spoke, but because God kept my mouth shut.  And those of you who know me know that is SO not me.  

That was Saturday.  Here it is Monday night, and I find myself remembering so many ways in the past 48 hours that I've betrayed Him, I've let Him down, I've sinned.  And thinking back on what He did for me Saturday, what He's done for me all my life, I don't understand why I do it either.

The psalmist prays it today too - "Oh, that my ways were steadfast in obeying your decrees!  Then I would not be put to shame when I consider all your commands."

Thankfully, we have a prescription - an aspirational one, because we know that for as long as we live on this earth, we will sin.  The psalmist says "How can a young person stay on the path of purity?  By living according to your word.  I seek you with all my heart...I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you."

Thank You, God, that we are able to walk the road to purity not by our strength, but by Your Word.  

No comments:

Post a Comment