Saturday, May 25, 2013

May 25 - David probably didn't have a clue...and neither do I

2 Samuel 7:1-8:18
John 14:15-31
Psalm 119:33-48
Proverbs 15:33

So David, having just assumed the throne, seems to be thinking to himself "God's been so good to me. Anointing me king, saving me from Saul, that whole Goliath incident, and here I am. I have arrived. I should do something for Him to reciprocate. I know - I'll build a house for the Ark, a place for Him."

It seems he believed God was done with him. After all, what greater prosperity could he achieve? David didn't seem to have a clue God was nowhere near done with him. And so God said "hold on a minute there, junior...". And then He made David a promise about David's descendants, and the permanence of his line. And then he gave David victory after victory over Israel's foes. And at that point, David may well have been thinking of the physical kingdom God was giving him and his descendants. So even then, he still had no clue - no clue about the eternal greatness and magnificence of God's plan and promise to him, fulfilled in Jesus and the establishment of His eternal reign. How could he have a clue? God's ways were above his ways, God's thoughts above his thoughts.

God has been so good to me. He manifest His love for me in parents who love me, and who love Him and want first and foremost for me to be with Him. He gave me wonderful sisters, provided for all my needs, permitted me the privilege of being husband to a wonderful wife, and father to three wonderful children. He gave me a home and a job that weren't even in the realm of imagination when I was growing up. And He gave me a community of brothers with whom to experience and grow in Him. As good as things are, like David, I still have absolutely no clue just how good it is going to get.

I can hardly wait to find out.

Jon Lanuza

No comments:

Post a Comment