Wednesday, May 22, 2013

2 Samuel 1-2:11, John 12:20-50, Psalm 118:19-29, Proverbs 15:27-28

2 Samuel 1-2:11, John 12:20-50, Psalm 118:19-29, Proverbs 15:27-28
 
            There is one night I remember from high school as being one of the most intimate moments I have ever had while reading the Bible.  My small group was reading about the life of David and of course I knew the Sunday School stories and the basic plot of his life.  It is easy to identify and get involved with David because to me, he is so real – his struggles, his heroics, his shortcomings, and his love for God.  I was laying in my bed reading these chapters, and I remember sobbing when thinking of David mourning his friend…his brother, Jonathan.  My heart just ached for David and his loss.  At that time I had grown distant with a girl who I grew up with as a sister and I remember crying for her too…cause I missed her so much.  I mourned for the loss of the deep friendship and sisterhood we had. 
 
            In these chapters we see David being vulnerable.  He was a warrior, a king, a leader, a head of a house and family.  He was known for his strength, his wisdom, strategy, relationship with God, and compassion.  He let down these walls and he mourned.  David mourned for Saul: God's anointed.  Saul was king, but Saul was also David's enemy.  He was a man who made it part of his mission to have David destroyed, because he was a threat.  Most people would celebrate, or at least be relieved with the death of a man who was trying to kill him.  But David mourned, cried, and celebrated king Saul.  Despite their history, David had compassion and loved Saul almost like God did…unconditionally.  At the start of chapter 2, the next step David did was "inquired of the Lord," meaning he prayed.  He sought God's counsel, prayed, and obeyed.  He trusted in God and his sovereignty. 
 
            Tonight at Young Life, we talked a little about how precious and short this life is.  Just like the death of Jonathan and Saul – it came quickly and even their names, their money, power, and position could not save them…"How the mighty have fallen!"  It's pretty cool how our readings from OT to NT can go hand and hand.  Jesus says in John 12: 25, "The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life."  It's very awesome knowing one day we will praise God next to David and Jonathan.  In the mean time, use your life to God's glory.  Don't put Him on hold or on the side because you know he will be there tomorrow.  I shared this quote tonight with the Young Life students that is well known, but it convicts and inspires me every time I hear it.  The great missionary, Jim Elliot said, "He is no fool who gives what he can not keep (this physical life,) to gain what he cannot lose (eternal life)."  

No comments:

Post a Comment