Friday, May 17, 2013

5/17/13

5/17/13, day 137

"I don't know whether he is a sinner," the man replied. "But I know this: I was blind, and now I can see!" "But what did he do?" they (The Pharisees) asked. "How did he heal you?" "Look!" the man exclaimed. "I told you once. Didn't you listen? Why do you want to hear it again? Do you want to become his disciples, too?" Then they cursed him and said, "You are his disciple, but we are disciples of Moses! We know God spoke to Moses, but we don't even know where this man comes from." "Why, that's very strange!" the man replied. "He healed my eyes, and yet you don't know where he comes from? We know that God doesn't listen to sinners, but he is ready to hear those who worship him and do his will. Ever since the world began, no one has been able to open the eyes of someone born blind. If this man were not from God, he couldn't have done it." (John 9:25-33 NLT)

This passage get to me. There is perhaps no better example of the work of God in Jesus' ministry, but the Pharisees could not get beyond what day it was. Even this man was able to grasp the concept of what was going on with Jesus, it the Pharisees seemed to be too intent on keeping the same old power structure in place. There was no room for "new" teaching in their eyes. Jesus could not be sent from God, after all, he breaks the commandments and works on Saturday! The man born blind got it, but they did not. I think that this passage in the bible is probably where John Newton got his inspiration for the song "Amazing Grace".

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment