Thursday, April 4, 2013

Thursday, April 4

THURSDAY, APRIL 4, 2013

Deuteronomy 26:1–27:26

Luke 10:38–11:13

Psalm 76:1–12

Proverbs 12:15–17

 

 

As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him.  She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said.  But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made.  She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself?  Tell her to help me!”

 

“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed.  Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” (Luke 10:38–42)

 

This passage has formed the basis of many a women’s retreat talk, but the concept at hand applies to each Christ-follower.  As Pastor Scott has pointed out, the Christian life involves a blend of “being,” that more reflective time of meditation, contemplation, and perhaps fellowship, and “doing.”  The late 20th-century institutional church became infatuated with programmatic ministry, reasoning that, if you start a ministry, they will come.  We recognize now that our “doing” in ministry must be quite sensitive to serving and reaching out to those who may not yet know Christ.  We may even have to leave the comfort of the church or previous modes of doing!

 

With whom do you identify:  Mary or Martha?  Each of us likely represents a combination of the two, but we almost certainly tend in one direction or another.  Like Martha, we may become exasperated with our complementary personality, begging:  “Why are you just sitting there?  There’s work to do!”  Or, alternatively, “why can’t you just sit and relax and enjoy God’s presence?”  Even if you haven’t recently voiced such an opinion, the thought has probably crossed your mind.

 

For me, I certainly identify with Martha.  God has given me a strong work ethic, but I struggle at points to focus on aesthetics.  I also may rush to reach decisions and certainty instead of trusting fully in God’s timing.  What tendencies do you find in yourself?

 

For the Marthas, take opportunities to live out Psalm 46:10:  “Be still, and know that I am God.”

 

For the Marys, please remember the wisdom of Proverbs related to work, both for earning a living and serving the Lord Jesus:

 

1.       Proverbs 12:11:  “Those who work their land will have abundant food, but those who chase fantasies have no sense.”

2.       Proverbs 14:23:  “All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty.”

 

 

“The way of a fool seems right to him,

                but a wise man listens to advice.”  (Proverbs 12:15)

 

This counsel seems patently obvious upon reading it.  Still, a corollary of this verse rang in my head this morning:  “If you think up a plan that, if you shared it with others, would seem ethically questionable, devious, or generally foolish, proceed with extreme caution.”  This consideration of others’ scrutiny and accountability should prompt better decisionmaking.  Likewise, we may test our plans and ideas against the revealed testimony of Scripture and God’s heart.

 

 

Historical note.  45 years ago today, James Earl Ray assassinated Martin Luther King, Jr., while King stood on the balcony of the Lorraine Motel in Memphis, Tenn., around 6:00 p.m.  Just prior to the fatal shots, King had requested that musician Ben Branch play “Take My Hand, Precious Lord” during the evening’s forthcoming meeting.

 

The night before, King addressed a rally in Memphis.  A credible bomb threat had delayed King’s plane flight, and he would prophetically reference these challenges in what has become known as the “I’ve Been to the Mountaintop” speech:

 

“And then I got to Memphis.  And some began to say the threats, or talk about the threats that were out.  What would happen to me from some of our sick white brothers?  Well, I don’t know what will happen now.  We’ve got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn’t matter with me now.  Because I’ve been to the mountaintop.  And I don’t mind.  Like anybody, I would like to live a long life.  Longevity has its place.  But I’m not concerned about that now.  I just want to do God’s will.  And He’s allowed me to go up to the mountain.  And I’ve looked over.  And I’ve seen the promised land.  I may not get there with you.  But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land.  So I’m happy, tonight.  I’m not worried about anything.  I’m not fearing any man.  Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord.”

 

 

Please note the many parallels between Moses’s words in Deuteronomy and King’s words.  May we find true fulfillment of the ideals of King’s life and ministry, starting with the church of the Lord Jesus.


________________________________________
1) Blog:                  http://bit.ly/rV1Cw1

2) Facebook:        http://on.fb.me/tc6jkS

No comments:

Post a Comment