Wednesday, April 17, 2013

April 16

Joshua 13-14
Luke 18:1-17
Psalm 85:1-13
Proverbs 13:7, 8

Psalm 85:4-7
"Restore us again, God our Savior,
and put away your displeasure toward us.
Will you be angry with us forever?
Will you prolong your anger through all generations?
Will you not revive us again,
that your people may rejoice in you?
Show us your unfailing love, Lord,
and grant us your salvation."

My heart is heavy right now. The bombing that took place in Boston yesterday leaves me stunned. All I can do is ask: Why? Why would someone do this? Why would someone cause so much death and pain and destruction? 

Earlier today, I got a message from a friend of mine asking me to call her. When I spoke to her, she told me that her older sister was found dead along with her son (my friend's nephew). She had killed her son and then killed herself. My friend had always had a troubled relationship with her sister. She is so angry that she would do something so terrible to herself and to her son. Now her family is left to pick up the pieces and ask Why and try to make sense of this.

I feel overwhelmed by how much evil is in this world. The anger and the hate and the violence... I know I can't figure it out. What makes a person decide to plant a bomb that hurts people and takes lives? What causes a mother to take her own child's life and then take her own? What hope do we have against such darkness? 

Thanks be to God that we do have hope in this: Jesus said, "In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." (John 16:33) I still don't understand why there is suffering and death and pain in this world, but I know there is always a reason to hope because Jesus has overcome the world. He has already won the battle against sin and death and we share in that victory. Psalm 85 expresses our desperate need for God to save and revive and restore us. His unfailing love is our only hope against this fallen world. Because of His unfailing love, the darkness will never consume us. 

Please keep those who are suffering in your prayers: the people of Boston, my friend and her family. Pray that they will have hope and look to Jesus for strength and salvation. Pray that we will shine God's light in the dark.




No comments:

Post a Comment