Monday, April 1, 2013

April 1, 2013 Blog

April 1, 2013


"When you go to war against your enemies and see horses and chariots and an army greater than yours, do not be afraid of them, because the Lord your God, who brought you up out of Egypt, will be with you" (Deuteronomy 20:1).

Deuteronomy 20:1-20 is the Israelite manual for holy wars – God ordained battles for the purpose of carrying out His plans for His people.  As I read this, I thought about all of the God-ordained situations (wars) that we all face and how this verse speaks to them.  Here are a few observations.

When you go to war.

War is inevitable.  Life often seems like a constant series of battles, one thing happening after another.  Couldn't God just give me what He wants me to have?  Yes, He could.  But, what would happen to our relationship?  How much time would I spend with Him.  Paul says that "suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope" (Romans 5:3-4).  It's when I struggle that we grow the most because God allows us to struggle in His presence with His coaching drawing on His strength.

And see…an army greater than yours.

There is something about seeing that throws us off.  When we see the struggles ahead, physically or in our mind, we lose focus on what the Lord has spoken to us.  Contrary to God, who puts emphasis on His Word, we like to see things happening the way that we want them to happen.  God sees it differently:

"Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God" (Romans 10:17); "We walk by faith, not by sight" (2 Corinthians 5:7); "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path" (Psalm 119:105). 

I wish that I could say that this is easy – truth is, it's harder than these words I'm typing.  But, it is the truth of God…and, it works!

Do not be afraid of them…the Lord your God…will be with you.

The past four months at Grace have been amazing, as we have had testimony after testimony every Sunday.  The stories of how God has delivered us that we recount for ourselves and for others on a regular basis are foods for our faith!  Right now, I am in my busy season.  I have a number of deadlines and it seems like there just isn't enough time to do it all.  However, as I look back over the past few years and remember how I've found myself in this situation time and time again, I'm so encouraged!  God has brought me through every single time.  When you remember how God healed you; how He brought that rent money to your bank account right on time; how He gave you peace when you thought you were about to lose your mind; your faith for the current "war" that you're going through increases because you've experienced the love and faithfulness of God.

 "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world" (John 16:33).


--
"The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace" (Numbers 6:24-26)
Kenny Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment